Pages

Monday 9 September 2013

♡ New York ♡

So this post has been really hard for me to write because every time I look at my journal entries on the app Day One (really good for keeping a diary when travelling - get it!) I want to cry because I miss this holiday and this place and want to go back. But, alas, I am not made of money and can't afford such luxuries as and when I please. If there's anyone who would like to take me to New York again then please, speak up! Until then, we can live vicariously through my diary entries...

We left Boston South station on a Bolt Bus to New York at the small hours of 8.30am after getting up at 6am to get there on time. Although it was a four and a half hour journey, we had free wifi so were happy bunnies! Martha can get travel sick and I have a phobia of sick so it could've gone really badly but luckily she had taken Dramamine and was ok. As soon as we got to the city, we went for a Starbucks panini and iced coffee because we were STARVING. We took a cab to our hotel - The Hilton on Times Square, and checked into our HUGE room on the 44th floor with the most incredible view. But let me tell you this: New York is noisy. Even 44 floors up we could still hear the sirens and car horns, but I kinda liked it!
Cutest room!
We went for a little shop and did some damage in Sephora (one a few doors down from our hotel - DANGEROUS) and MAC. We visited Times Square which was so nice but SO busy and I don't like really busy places because they make me anxious so we didn't stay for too long! We had dinner at the first restaurant we found, that wasn't ridiculously expensive, called Maison, before heading back to the hotel to shower and drop off our purchases. The guy who worked at the reception desk, who, may I add, was so friendly and helpful that we actually recommended and secured him Employee of the Month, suggested we check out Cake Boss, which was literally on the corner of the street. There's a tv show about it where they make amazing cakes and who am I to turn that down?! So we went and my god was it good. I bought a caramel cupcake and a cream puff with custard in and although it was pretty pricey, it was SO worth it! It was so good that I went back again the next day. Oops. Sorry not sorry.

Early dinner at Maison

Times Square


View from our room!

Times Square

Cake Boss

Happy Sophie!

Day two and we decided to do some sightseeing on the lower west side, where we went to the 9/11 memorial gardens. They've made these incredible reverse fountains (where the water goes deeper into the ground rather than up in the air) the same size and shape right where the two towers fell, and have engraved the names of all the people who passed away surrounding each tower. There are trees planted everywhere and one tree in particular called the Survivor Tree. This tree was in the lobby of one of the towers and, by some miracle, managed to survive the event. It has been nursed back to health and is now re-rooting in the gardens and is an amazing symbol of America overcoming such horrific events. It was really moving but so sweet and I'm really glad that we managed to make time to visit.
Afterwards, we went to Soho and did some shopping along Broadway. It reminded me of a cross between Oxford Street in London and Newbury Street in Boston, we stopped for lunch at a little deli and shared some sushi which was really reasonably priced ($12 for two packets with about 10 pieces per packet)! We took the subway back to our hotel where we had some tea and more cake (as I mentioned before, we revisited Cake Boss!) before heading out to Columbus Circle for dinner at a lovely little Italian called Cafe Fiorello. It was pretty expensive though! Just under $70 for the both of us and we only got a main each. Eek! 
GOOD MORNING NEW YORK

Pasty legs but WHO CARES?

Subway

Freedom Tower






Soho

Bloomies

Broadway

Our hotel!


Hello, friend. We meet again.

OOPS

Survivor Tree



Disobedient hair


Columbus Circle


Day three and we were a little sad because our New York trip was coming to an end. We had a late checkout so did a little last minute shopping beforehand in places like MAC and the Disney Store. Martha wanted to get her friend a beaker with a Disney princess on but they only had Ariel. And I love Ariel. So guess who ended up buying an unnecessary beaker? Yep, me. We then went back to the hotel to checkout (and I left my phone charger in the room which never got found again...) but left our bags in security until our bus which left in the evening. We walked along Fifth Ave to Central Park which is a long way. We meant to get the subway but ended up just walking. We bought a salad for lunch from a place called Chop'd which was so perfect for the weather because it was super hot, and spent the afternoon just sitting watching the world go by. Two guys from the Bronx started talking to us and it was nice because we spoke about cultural differences and stuff. Although they thought we sounded like we were from Liverpool. If anyone reading this has ever heard me speak they'd find it hilarious because me and Martha have the poshest London accents ever. My boyfriend tells me I sound like the queen (I don't, he's being silly). We then got out stuff from the hotel and took the Bolt Bus back to Boston. It was super sad saying bye but we were exhausted! Our poor little feet had been through a lot so we were glad to have achieved so much in such a short space of time and still be standing.
Central Park



Worst idea ever before a four hour bus journey



New York is an amazing place. I'd love to go back because there's more I want to do and see it that's for another time in my life. I feel very lucky to have been able to go, and can't wait to one day return.

Have any of you been to New York? Did you enjoy it? What was your favourite part?

Until next time!
xxx

10 comments:

  1. Nice blog post! It looks like you had a great time too! :) I've ALWAYS wanted to go to New York because it just looks amazing! x
    Amy | http://amysbeautyjournal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Kinda filled it with pictures oops! You should if you ever get a chance - it really is amazing! x

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed New York. I love seeing how much people loc my city. Do please come back, I'll have to tell about some of my favorites places.

    Atira xx. sincerelyatira.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky to live there - I absolutely loved it! I really hope to go back soon - where would you recommend I go next?! x

      Delete
  3. I love new york. I was there last year and it was such an amazing experience !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a crazy city but so amazing, I really want to go back NOW! Haha x

      Delete
  4. I love Central Park!!!! I could have honestly spend all day there <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a nice day and it was just perfect - we literally had to tear ourselves away haha! x

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you had such a nice time! I'm going in a few weeks and I'm so excited!
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber you are going to have the best time! I'm very jealous that you're going. I hope you have a really lovely trip and look forward to reading about it!! x

      Delete